I am sure Western medicine will jump all over this one, so I am jumping 1st.
1. Holistic medicine treats the whole patient as gently and naturally as possible by assessing not just the lab values or making empirical decisions, but by also incorporating astute observation of the patient's spirit, mind and body.
2. The goal is to attempt to switch on the body's own ability to heal without use of known agents that are toxic, unless that is the best/only choice.
3. With any treatment, be it natural, complementary, alternative, or pharmaceutical, observation of symptom relief and adverse reactions/side effects is critical, necessary, and expected.
4. I , without knowing all of the details or the persons involved, can hardly believe that a mother would allow her child to deteriorate to the point of organ failure and subsequent death due to a group A streptococcus bacteria infection gone wild.
5. It is reported in this article that the mother gave her son dandelion tea and oil of oregano for what she thought was a cold or flu. ***DIAGNOSIS SHOULD ALWAYS BE MADE BY A CERTIFIED HEALTH CARE PRACTITIONER***
7. It is reported in this article that the mother ignored her son's failure to get better as he experienced swollen lymph nodes, an oozing ear infection and jaundiced eyes--she thought it was nothing she couldn't handle ***THIS, IF TRUE, IS ONE OF THE WORST CASES OF IRRESPONSIBLE BEHAVIOR OF A PARENT THAT I HAVE EVER HEARD***
Rest in peace little Ryan Lovett. I apologize to the Universe for your earth mother's irresponsible behavior. May your short life not have been in vain and serve as a lesson to others that medicine, no matter whether it's pharmaceutical, synthetic, or complementary, must be utilized responsibly.
Group A Streptococcus (GAS) Infections
Recap: Calgary, Alberta, Canada mother treated son with oil of oregano and dandelion tea without consulting a health care practitioner. The son subsequently died from organ failure as the GAS infection had spread to every organ. Mother should have consulted with HCP and monitored her son's response/lack of response to treatment. Link to Illinois Public Health Fact Sheet on GAS provided: Illinois Public Health, Fact Sheet
CUP OF JOE: The Blog
Conjecture, facts, and opinion on health and wellness, holistic practice, and the quest for sustainability & optimal health.